Want healthy + versatile + easy + delicious all in one dish? This Fajita Mix is it!
I think our family could
devour eat Mexican food every. single. day! While authentic Mexican is our favorite… momma don’t cook that way. Our entrees usually consist of Americanized fajitas, enchiladas, taco salad or nachos.
On this particular day when craving Mexican food and not planning dinner early in time to prep, I had to come up with a quick solution that didn’t involve the grill. (Let me clarify… I can grill. I just don’t know how to manually ignite our gas grill and I don’t care to have my eyebrows singed off!) It was then I remembered the taco meat I had in the freezer. Add it to the last of our garden fresh produce and… Oh snap, this is good!
I served it to my boys on mini flour tortillas as a taco, the hubby on a large whole wheat tortilla more burrito style, and I went no-carb and just ate it with a fork. My oldest son asked for seconds and used tortilla chips to scoop it up. It would also be great for stuffed bell peppers, tacos, enchilada meat, burritos, nacho toppings, and even stirred into queso for dip!
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1/2 cup banana peppers - optional
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup corn
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef - or turkey
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil - EVOO
- Brown meat.
- While meat is browning, chop vegetables. Add the veggies as they're cut to a separate pan with EVOO.
- Saute vegetables completely.
- Add browned meat to vegetables.
- Add taco seasoning. (I didn't have to add any water to the taco seasoning because of the water in the veggies. Use your own discretion. Just don't make it "sloppy".)
- Heat through and serve.
Eat on it's own or use as filling for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, stuffed bell peppers, or in queso.
I can’t tell you how excited I am about this recipe! And it once again got the kid seal of approval with a “Mommy, can we have this again?”