I don’t do casseroles. They are typically filled with sauces that are loaded with carbs, fat, or both. So why on earth am I giving you a casserole recipe today? This is one that I found in a Taste of Home cookbook years ago and adapted to “healthy up” as much as possible. It’s a nice quick recipe that takes little prep work, but is big in flavor.
Since the majority of our meals are composed of natural, non-processed foods, a casserole like this is very different for us. I have to admit that I LOVE the tater tots on top! I mean, what I like about this Tater Taco Casserole is how flexible it is. Make it now, eat it now with leftovers. Make it and take it to be warmed up later. This is a great dish if you are providing a meal to someone as all the ingredients just need to be heated, not cooked. Or make it, freeze it, and eat it later. Plus, you can “personalize” the taste to your family. Like Mexican food? Add sour cream and salsa to the top. Not a fan of Mexican? No problem! Ketchup is great on it too. Or heck, just leave it plain and enjoy it how it is.
Fast, flexible food is always a mommy favorite in this house! And having a different type of entrée is always nice for everyone.
Tater Tot Taco Casserole
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning or 2 Tbsp. homemade taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can corn
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 1 red pepper - chopped
- 1 can Campbell's Nacho Cheese soup
- 1 bag frozen Tater Tots
- Brown ground turkey.
- Add taco seasoning and 1/4 cup water to turkey.
- Stir together corn, chopped onion, chopped red pepper, Nacho Cheese soup, and browned turkey.
- Spoon into casserole dish.
- Add a single layer of frozen tater tots to the top.
- Cook for 40 minutes at 350-degrees or until heated through.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, or ketchup.