Confession: I’m normally not the casserole kind of cook – they’re like the rockstars of the carb and fat world, partying it up in a dish! But today, I’m spilling the beans, or should I say, the cheese, on a casserole secret recipe.
I found the origins of this Tater Tot Casserole in a Taste of Home cookbook years ago. I say origins because, well, it had so many extra calories hidden in its sauciness that I gained a couple of pounds just reading the recipe. The taste was big, but so was the pant size that was going to go with it. So I’ve attempted to ‘healthify’ it, but I have to warn you that it’s still a comfort food rebel at heart! Thus…
Confession #2: I’ve developed a deep and profound affection for those crispy tater tots perched regally on high! They’ve officially become my potato-licious crush.
My entire family is crazy about the perfect amount of crunch those delectable little taters add to the meal. They are absolutely the best part of the whole darn thing so don’t think you’re going to cut calories and skimp. Pack on those potatoes in a single, no gaps allowed, layer across the top! Potatoes are, after all, a veggie!
In addition to my torrid tater tot affair, I’m head over heels for how adaptable this dish is!
- Make it now, eat it now.
- Make it now, cook it later.
- Make it, freeze it, and eat it later!
Providing a meal to someone? This is a perfect dish. Super quick to stir together. Can be baked in a foil pan so they don’t have to worry about returning your fav casserole dish. And it provides lots of delicious leftovers!
The last thing I’ll rave about on this recipe… you can personalize the taste to your family. Since it is a TACO casserole, the best way to consume this crazy deliciousness is with sour cream and/or salsa added to the top and served with a side of tortilla chips. Ketchup, of course, is the wingman of the food world though. I feel like it’s always ready to add a little pizzazz to my plate, making sure my taste buds have a saucy good time! Or heck, leave it plain and enjoy your Tater Tot Casserole just how it is… creamy and delish!
Tater Tot Taco Casserole
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning or 2 Tbsp. homemade taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can corn
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 1 red pepper - chopped
- 1 can Campbell's Nacho Cheese soup (if available) OR Campbell's Cheddar Cheese soup
- 1 bag frozen Tater Tots
- Brown ground turkey.
- Add taco seasoning and 1/4 cup water to turkey.
- Stir together corn, chopped onion, chopped red pepper, Nacho Cheese soup, and browned turkey.
- Spoon into casserole dish.
- Add a single layer of frozen tater tots to the top.
- Cook for 40 minutes at 350-degrees or until heated through.
- Optional: After casserole comes out of oven, sprinkle with Mexican or Chihuahua cheese and a little cilantro to add color and garnish the top.
- Serve. Best with sour cream and a side of tortilla chips. YUM!
Any recipe that takes little prep work, but is big in flavor is a mom favorite in this house! Plus, having a different type of entrée (like an occasional casserole) is kinda fun! So go tater tot crazy and enjoy eating!