If you’ve been reading my blog for awhile, you know that my humor is sometimes ill timed. Like now when I should be telling you how delicious this oven roasted asparagus is, but instead I have to stop and giggle. Yah, you already know where I’m going with this. Whenever I think of asparagus two things come to mind. Stinky pee or the cute little Veggie Tales character, Archibald Asparagus. I’m not selling you on the recipe, am I?
What I’m trying to say is that even with a house full of veggie eaters, asparagus is one veggie that doesn’t get a spot at the table often enough.
When our oldest was about 18-months old, he would happily eat asparagus and without question. But for some reason we moved away from it. I know, I must be crazy… if the kid eats it, we should’ve been eating it all the time!
Even now, all these years later, whenever I make oven roasted asparagus all my boys get so excited. Especially my youngest who for the first four years of his life only wanted to eat carbs. I get it. Carbs are my fav too, especially the unhealthy ones. But for him to go from carbs-only-please to literally giving me a, “Yay! I love this stuff!” when I put the dish of asparagus on the table… that’s a solid win!
As if that’s not enough, as I was writing this post I decided that for all of you who need a little more prompting to eat green spears that make pee smell funny, I would Google the health benefits of asparagus and I am blown away! Let me give you a little run down on how good this stuff is for you!
Asparagus, one of the most nutritionally balanced vegetables, may just be the mack dad of veggies as it is:
- low in calories
- low in fat
- high in folic acid
- packed with vitamins A, C, E, K, B6, folate, iron, copper, calcium, and protein
- rich in antioxidant nutrients, including beta-crotene, zinc, manganese, and selenium
- full of fiber
- a natural diuretic (in other words, it makes you pee a lot so it flushes excess fluid and salt out of your system and helps you not be so bloated)
Or to put it plainly, eating asparagus can help with almost all of your body functions. So just freaking eat this amazing stuff!
Oh… and try this delish recipe! Lots of flavor for very little prep! That’ my kind of cookin’!
Oven Roasted Asparagus
- 1 bunch - 12-14 ounces asparagus spears
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil - EVOO
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, Asiago, or Parmesan shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
- Saute garlic in EVOO.
- Wash asparagus spears. Trim off and discard tough ends.
- Arrange asparagus in shallow baking dish.
- Drizzle garlic and oil over asparagus. Turn stalks to coat.
- Bake asparagus until tender, about 18 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.